How often should i color my hair?
The right hair color can update any hairstyle and brighten any complexion. Whatever your goal, there's a perfect hair color for you. Knowing how often you can safely color your hair helps prevent damage.
How Often Can I Use Permanent Color?
All-Over Color Help
When roots become visible, typically four to six weeks post-coloring, follow the root touch-up application instructions to maintain an even color result from month to month.
Special Effects Help
When it comes to special effects, like Bronde, Balayage, Sombre, Ombre, application is not as frequent as all-over color because the dye is typically not applied to the root area. These low commitment looks are often touched up once the hair has grown out dramatically and due for a haircut. Another reason women typically find themselves coloring again is to change their look, often going from more subtle to dramatic.
Semi- and Demi-Permanent Color Time Table
Semi-Permanent Color Help
Semi-permanent color is a coating on your natural color that doesn’t become part of the hair shaft. Semi-permanent color is applied after washing and towel-drying the hair, and lasts anywhere from 6 to 12 washings.
Demi-Permanent Color Help
Demi-permanent hair color can last longer than semi-permanent color. It often lasts up to 24 washings, and uses a mild hydrogen peroxide for color deposit only (no lift).
Hair color timelines are true for both professional applications and do-it-yourself products.
1. Reference: http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/everyday-innovations/hair-coloring4.htm
2. Reference: http://www.empire.edu/blog/cosmetology-how-tos/8-commonly-asked-questions-about-coloring-your-hair
3. Reference: http://www.clairolpro.com/inside-clairol-pro/demi-semi-permanent-faqs
4. Reference: http://www.hairfinder.com/hair2/foils.htm
5. Reference: https://www.lorealparisusa.com/beauty-magazine/hair-color/hair-color-tutorials/color-theory-a-crash-course-in-hair-color-basics.aspx
6. Reference: https://www.sallybeauty.com/How-often-can-I-have-my-hair-treated-with-permanent-color%3F/FAQ_HAIR_COLOR_09,default,pg.html