WE'VE GOT YOUR GRAY HAIR COVERED
Learn how to effectively cover grays and the easy application process to achieve the best color result possible.
WHAT CAUSES GRAY HAIR
Hair turns gray when the body stops producing melanin. This absence of pigment can make strands look white, gray or silver depending on hair’s natural color. Factors that influence what causes gray hair include aging, stress, genetics and reactions to medication. Everybody is different and will go gray in their own unique way.
TIPS FOR COVERING GRAY HAIR AT HOME
New to covering gray hair at home? We're here to help. Here are some gray coverage tips to keep your strands healthy and happy as you choose and apply your color and care for your hair.
Tips for Choosing a Formula & Shade
- Start right by using a hair color that offers 100% gray hair coverage plus nourishing oils, like Garnier Nutrisse, Olia, and Color Sensation.
- If you're performing a root touch-up application, use the exact shade you last applied for a seamless, natural look.
Don't know what Shade to use?
Take our 1-minute hair color quiz to find and virtually try on your personalized shades for covering gray hair.
Tips for Applying your Color
- Before you start coloring, read the instructions in the hair color kit and determine the type of application you'll perform. The processes are easy but require careful attention, especially to the clock.
- Perform a full-head application if you have never colored your hair, want to change your current shade to something darker, or have not colored in 3 months or longer.
- Perform a root touch-up application if you are coloring your new growth at the roots with the same or a very similar shade as last time you colored.
- If you're performing a full head application, buy two boxes of color for adequate coverage on course and/or long hair.
- Use a rat tail comb - one with a point on its end - and clips or hair ties to easily and neatly divide your hair into sections before applying color.
- Prevent stained skin by applying after color conditioner along your hairline and ears.
- Start applying at the areas that have the most gray, that way color has longer to penetrate those strands.
- If your gray hair has been resistant to color in the past, extend the color's processing time for 5 extra minutes.
- If possible, avoid washing and styling hair for at least 24 hours after coloring.
HOW HAIR TEXTURE AFFECTS GRAY COVERAGE
What to Know for Covering Fine Gray Hairs
Covering grays on fine hair tends to be easier than other textures because hair isn't as "thirsty". Since strands are thinner and less dense, the color can penetrate easier. Remember that fine hair can be straight, wavy or curly - it's the hair texture not its temperament that matters.
What to Know for Covering Coarse Gray Hairs
It can be notoriously hard to cover grays on thick, coarse hair because strands are larger and tend to be dry, creating a rougher surface that rejects color. This type of hair will need to be saturated completely and may require extended processing time after color is applied (usually 5-10 extra minutes).
CARING FOR DYED GRAY HAIR
- Keep your color vibrant and shiny with Nutrisse Color Reviver color-depositing mask. Apply for just 5 minutes every 2 weeks to maintain your shade's vibrancy and nourish your strands. Available in 6 shades.
- Use a shampoo and conditioner specifically formulated for color treated hair. We love our Fructis Color Shield and Whole Blends Cranberry Blend to pamper colored hair.
- Gray hair tends to be dry and coarse, so proper hydration is key. Try a weekly hair mask like Fructis Color Vibrancy 1 Minute Hair Mask with Goji Extract to maintain soft, supple strands.
- Gray hairs are more susceptible to external damage, so cover up if you are in the sun and avoid salt water, swimming pools and heat styling as much as possible.
Garnier's Permanent Solutions
Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme
The #1 Nourishing Color Creme*, Nutrisse is formulated with avocado, olive and shea oils that go deep to nourish and condition your hair so it takes color better and holds it longer. You’ll get 100% gray coverage that is still translucent enough for your natural hair’s highs and lows to shine through. Available in a wide range of over 40 radiant shades.
*Nutrisse is #1 based on Nielsen sales data, units sold, full year 2020
Nutrisse Ultra Coverage
Nutrisse Ultra Coverage is designed with CoverPlusTM Technology to target and erase your most stubborn grays, plus fruit oil concentrates to leave hair soft and healthy. Choose from 10 rich shades for maximum gray coverage and nourished strands.
Olia is an ammonia free hair color powered by a 60% oil blend with natural flower oils to deliver brilliant color and shiny, hydrated hair. The drip-free formula is available in over 30 shades that provide 100% gray coverage and visibly healthy results.
8 shades provide 100% gray coverage and long-lasting, multi-dimensional color.
Permanent Color Favorites
Permanent Color Favorites
Nutrisse Ultra Crème 50 - Medium Natural Brown Garnier Nutrisse nourishes while it colors for richer, radiant, and 8-weeks of long-lasting color with 100% gray coverage.
Nutrisse Ultra Coverage 400 - Sweet Pecan Permanent, nourishing color creme with three fruit oils - avocado, olive, and shea
Garnier Olia Ammonia Free Hair Color Olia 4.0 - Dark Brown Our 1st oil powered permanent haircolor with no ammonia for brilliant color and visibly healthier hair.
Rich, Long Lasting Color Color Sensation 1.0 - Black Be Sensational!
Expert advice: how to cover gray hair
How to apply olia hair color | hair color 101
See how Olia gives you brilliant color and visibly healthier hair with 60% oils and zero ammonia. Get hydrated, silky, 3x shinier hair.
How to Apply Nutrisse | Hair Color 101
See how to get the color you want and the nourishment your hair needs with the easy, at-home tutorial.
How to apply color sensation hair color | hair color 101
See how Color Sensation's non-drip formula and precision brush gives you rich, long-lasting color and silky shine at an incredible value.
Everything You Need to Know About At-Home Hair Color
Whether you need help choosing the right shade, want to know how much time to budget or would like to learn how to make your color last, these tips and tricks can help. They simplify the process to make coloring hair at-home a breeze.