What is Micellar Water?
Everything You Need to Know About Using Micellar Cleansing Water
Get ready to work a whole new kind of cleanser into your routine. Micellar Water is the facial cleanser that has been the best-kept beauty secret in Europe for decades. Micellar Water is now available in the U.S. and has been a revolutionary breakthrough in the cleansing market. Micellar Water doesn’t require rinsing, is gentle on skin, and uses a unique technology different than most other facial cleansers to help leave skin feeling clean and soft. Ahead, a starter kit to what Micellar Water is and how to work it into your skin care routine.
What Is Micellar Water?
Micellar Water is a facial cleanser that helps remove excess sebum and impurities from your skin and leaves it feeling soft and looking beautiful.
- Micellar Water is made from micelles, or the oil-based particles.
- Micelles work to attract dirt and impurities and lift them from the surface of your skin.
- Micellar Water is extremely thorough and can remove a variety of makeup products including everything from foundation to eye makeup and mascara. It also removes sweat and excess oil. Often, skin care and makeup removal require two separate products. The best part about Micellar Water? It incorporates both tasks into one easy to use product.
Where Does Micellar Water Come From?
Micellar Water has been popular for decades in France. Micellar Water was introduced in Paris because Parisian city water was considered harsh, and skin care experts noted that it had a negative effect on skin. The harshness of the water contributed to dry skin and even potential skin blemishes. As a response, skin care experts desperately looked for an alternative to Parisian city water for cleansing needs. After developing Micellar Water, it quickly became a substitute to the harsh water as was beloved for its ability to remove makeup, sweat, oil and dirt without the need to rinse. Micellar Water has finally made its way into the mainstream beauty market in the United States.
What Are the Ingredients in Micellar Water?
Micellar Water is made with micelles, tiny lipid cleansing molecules suspended in water.
The dirt on micelles:
- Micelles have both hydrophilic and hydrophobic qualities. That means they have the ability to lift away dirt, impurities, and makeup from your face.
- The formula is clear, like water, but when it touches your skin you’ll realize there is a lot more complexity to this product.
- The micelles in Micellar Water have multiple functions, from helping to remove makeup to facial cleansing and moisturizing your skin. Like a magnet, micelles capture and lift away dirt, oil and makeup from the surface of your skin without harsh rubbing, leaving skin clean, hydrated and refreshed without over-drying.
- Micelles are so thorough they can even help remove long-lasting make up such as waterproof mascara.
What Makes Micellar Water Different?
Micellar Water was developed as a brand new type of facial cleanser. But how does it stand out from the old school cleansers you may have used in the past?
- Unlike foam cleansers or cleansing lotions, it looks just like water and doesn’t require rinsing to work.
- Micellar Water also has an accessory: Instead of applying it directly to the face, you’ll pour it onto cotton pads and swipe across your face.
- You’ll be able to see the dirt and makeup Micellar Water has lifted off the surface of your skin directly onto the cotton pad.
- Micellar Water is also formulated to be a gentle facial cleanser. While other cleansers may strip your skin of moisture, Micellar Water can actually leave your skin looking hydrated and supple. Since Micellar Water was originally developed to replace Parisian city water, it has a different texture (and effectiveness!) than you may be used to. Ask any big name makeup artist about what beauty products they use backstage and you’ll likely hear “Micellar Water”. Some of the biggest names in beauty have been swearing by Micellar Water for years!
- Micellar Water even makes packing for a trip much easier. Since you’ll only need one product to clean your face every night, you’ll save room in your toiletry bag. Even better, since it has the consistency of water and is easy to transport in a travel-friendly bottle. Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water Travel-Size comes in both waterproof, for removing waterproof mascara, and all-in-1, for removing makeup and cleansing your face. Stock your travel kit with these perfectly sized 3.4 oz bottles. You’ll never want to travel with anything else again for your facial cleansing needs.
What Skin Types Can Use Micellar Water?
Not many skin care products suit all skin types. However, Micellar Water is one of the few that can work regardless of whether you have normal, sensitive, combination or oily skin.
- For all skin types: Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-One is formulated to effectively cleanse, remove makeup, and refresh skin. It’s designed to work on all skin types, even sensitive skin.
- For oily skin types: Try Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-One Mattifying, formulated to help purify pores and reduce face shine.
- For sensitive skin types: Micellar Water is known for the gentle cleansing action and moisturizing properties that make it a popular skin care product worldwide. Not only is Micellar Water gentle enough for sensitive skin, but it doesn’t require the harsh rubbing that can damage sensitive skin areas such as under eyes. Best of all, Micellar Water is suitable for everyone, even people with sensitive skin. Even if you don’t think you have particularly sensitive skin, the gentle cleanser formula helps to hydrate and nourish skin.
- For makeup lovers: If you’re a beauty junkie and wear heavy makeup, opt for Garnier SkinActive Micellar Water Waterproof, which can remove waterproof mascara. It’s powerful enough to remove long-lasting makeup, but still gentle for sensitive skin.
When shopping for a Micellar Water, look at the label on the bottle. The labels should confirm if a Micellar Water is formulated for a specific skin type. Make sure you choose the product that corresponds to your skin’s specific needs!
How to Use Micellar Water
Micellar cleansing water will work with any cotton pad or cotton ball. For best results, look for the large cotton pads that are available at most drugstores. They are typically sold in tubes of multiple cotton pads.
Micellar Water (as with all facial cleansers) should be the first step in your skin care routine. To use:
- Simply saturate a cotton pad with the cleanser. Swipe across your face until you see no residual dirt or makeup on the pad. To remove eye makeup, first be sure to fully saturate the pad.
- Then, use what we call the “Press and Hold” method. Simply press the pad gently to your eyelid and hold it in place for a few seconds, before softly wiping away. The “Press and Hold” method helps the micelles act like a magnet to lift away makeup, dirt, and impurities from your skin.
Aside from working as your daily facial cleanser, Micellar Water is versatile enough to make its way into other aspects of your beauty routine. Now that we know how to use Micellar Water, let’s look at when to use Micellar Water:
- Did you mess up on your contouring? Slip with your mascara? Rather than having to wash your whole face again, Micellar Water can help take care of your makeup mishap. You only need to dip a Q-Tip into the makeup removing solution, and it’ll erase the makeup mistake before you continue beautifying your face.
- Even on days when you aren’t wearing makeup, Micellar Water can be used as a mist to freshen the look of your skin. Keep it with you on-the-go while you are hiking or exercising outdoors to freshen your appearance and to lift away any dirt or pollution from your skin’s surface. Micellar Water can help you look fresh even if you are partaking in a heavy-duty nature activity. Look for Micellar Water in cleansing towelette form to make cleansing on-the-go easy and portable. We like Garnier SkinActive Micellar Makeup Removing Towelettes to cleanse and remove makeup with one ultra-gentle wipe.
- Micellar towelettes are perfect for after the gym, on sweaty days, or those moments when your skin needs an extra boost. To remove waterproof makeup at night or before the gym, try Garnier SkinActive Micellar Makeup Removing Towelettes Waterproof.
- Micellar water can be an easy way to remove hair color stains from your skin (think hands and around your hairline). Simply soak a cotton ball or pad with Micellar Cleansing Water and dab it on the stains until they lift away — no rinsing required.
- Before waxing, swipe Micellar Water on the area to cleanse skin and remove excess dirt and oil, which could keep the wax from adhering as well as it should.
- After you’ve applied self-tanner, swipe on Micellar Cleansing Water to clean hands and wipe away any excess self-tanner
- Want to give your makeup brushes a deep clean? Pour a little Micellar Water in a bowl, then swirl your makeup brushes around in it to remove grime and makeup residue. Shake your brush to remove excess Micellar Water and let it air dry. Do it every two weeks (or more) to keep your brushes in good condition.
If you’re new to the world of Micellar Water, welcome to your to tally upgraded facial cleansing routine. Between the way your skin will look, feel, and the no-rinse ease of use, we have a feeling you won’t be reaching for another facial cleanser anytime soon. Happy cleansing!