Cleanser: Should You Use it During or After Showering?
When do you like to wash your face? Some people love to cleanse while they are in the shower. Others keep their cleansing routines categorically separate. There are lots of arguments for and against either side, and the decision comes down to personal preference. We’re looking at some arguments from both sides to help you make a decision on which way is right for you.
Cleansing In The Shower
- Speed: When you cleanse in the shower you’re killing two birds with one stone. This is especially important in the morning when you’re pressed for time but still want to clean your face. Cleansing in the shower certainly cuts down on extra time, plus you don’t have to do any additional prep work such as tying up your hair or prepping your sink area.
- Opens Pores: Showers produce steam and steam can gently open your pores. There’s a reason why every spa uses a steamer! Steam can help dirt, oil or excess sebum release from your pores so when you are cleansing you are really getting a deep cleanse.
- Ease of Use: In the shower you have lots of space and don’t have to worry about your cleanser getting on the floor or in your hair.
- Hot Water: Hot water is the enemy of healthy skin as it dries it out and can interfere with its barrier function. Avoid splashing very hot water on your face if you want to avoid stripping it or unnecessarily dehydrating skin.
- Duration: You probably wouldn’t wash your face for more than a few minutes standing by a sink but in the shower your skin could be in constant contact with warm water for several minutes. This could remove necessary oils and harm your skin’s barrier function as you are removing too much moisture from your skin.
Cleansing After Shower
- Shampoo and Conditioner won’t touch your face: Multitasking can be good but cleansing your face and using shampoo/conditioner at the same time can allow some crossover between products. This might make your skin oilier particularly if you use deep conditioning hair products. Keeping products separate ensures that you aren’t accidentally irritating your skin with fragrant shampoos or conditioners.
- Can Moisturize Immediately After: If you cleanse your skin over a sink you can rinse off and immediately apply moisturizer thereafter. The best practice is to apply moisturizer when skin is still damp.
- Time-consuming: Separating your shower and cleansing routine doubles the time spent in your regimen. If you’re really pressed for time you may end up skipping washing your face which is a big no no if you want to keep your skin happy and healthy-looking.
- Don’t get the steam effect of open pores: You only get the steam room effect in the shower. Your pores may not open with your sink routine so you’re missing out on the deep clean your skin may otherwise get in the shower.
Videos & Articles
We’re going to surprise you with a few facts you might have not previously known about your skin
Three cleansers that work for all skin types.
We’re outlining three surprising ways that you can use micellar water.
We’ve identified three cleansers that are perfectly compatible for dry skin.
Micellar water isn’t just great at cleansing your face it can also clean your body and remove stains.
We’re looking at five common cleansing mistakes people with dry skin make.
Six reasons why you should use a gentle cleanser.
Narrow down your cleanser search, we’ve outlined the best cleansers by skin type.
Your neck could use a little TLC.
The 411 on when you should be cleaning your face to get the best results.
We learn which products you can use to detox your skin.
We're outlining how you can stay on top of your game while traveling.
How to use charcoal in your skin care routine.
Find out how antioxidants and cleansers can be the foundation for great skin.
Ways to avoid over cleansing and potentially damaging your skin.
Here are five things to avoid to protect your skin while showering.
We’re giving you the scoop on the beautifying technique of double cleansing
Find out how you can go from primped to bed-prepped in 10 minutes flat.
Find out more about how BB cream beautifies your skin.
Cold temperatures don’t always have to be negative. Here are six tips on how to use icy goodness in your skin care routine.
Find out how to clean your face with micellar water.
Find out how you can protect your skin from daily toxins in the air every day.
Learn about what you should avoid in your skin care routine if you have sensitive skin.
Find out what to wash your face with according to your skin type.
An at-home facial is a good alternative is to give yourself a facial in the comfort of your own home.
Learn expert ways to make the most of this cleansing breakthrough.
Read more about the dos and don'ts on how to properly wash your face for healthy skin.
Discover which face wash is best for your skin type.
Discover everything you need to know about this all-in-1 facial cleanser.
Luckily there is a product that can eliminate any potential waterproof mascara mishaps.
How to use micellar water and moisturizer as the perfect pairing.
Micellar water can help beautify and refresh your skin in a variety of ways.
Read all about the multi-tasking Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water.
If you’re interested in trying micellar water, but don’t know how it works exactly, we’re here to explain.
We’re looking at five ways that you can use cleansers in less likely ways.
So to celebrate all things old-school, we came up with a list of simple skin care tips.
Meet the cleansing must-have you need to add to your skin care routine.
The products and techniques you need to cleanse your skin.
The ABCs of cleansers so you can easily navigate the complex and ever-changing skin care aisle.
Find out how you can cleanse your face with products you might not have thought about before
We’re showing you three cleansers that will clean your skin yet leave it hydrated.
Two products that are perfect for your dry skin type.
Today we’re introducing you to double cleansing.
What exactly makes micellar water one of the most gentle yet effective facial cleansers out there?
Find out how to best clean your face.
We’re giving you the lowdown on what makes micellar water a skin care must
Discover Korean skin care tips.
Discover the benefits of Micellar Water for every skin type.
Here’s a handy guide to what it is and how you use it.
Learn all about face wash in this article.
The solution is called micellar water, find out why.
Follow these steps to avoid skin irritation via beard.
Here are our tips to care for combination skin.