Prom Hairstyles That Stand Up to Dancing
Prom is a night to form amazing memories with your friends– not to remember how your updo spectacularly unraveled as soon as the DJ dropped the beat. Here are four beautiful hairstyles that will hold up even while you're dancing your heart out.
Best for mid-length hair, this gorgeous style is inspired by the asymmetrical undercut. With a friend's help, you can get it at home; no salon required.
• Choose one side of your hair to braid and tuck back.
• On that side, part hair at the far side of the eye line. Sweep hair on top of your head off to the other side and secure it with a clip.
• Weave hair on the "undercut" side into a tight French braid or cornrow, leading to the nape of the neck.
• Secure the braided portion with pins, comb out the rest and spritz everything with Garnier Fructis Sheer Set Extreme Hold Hairspray.
This style is glitzy enough to draw attention but still subtle and elegant:
1. Distribute a small amount of styling paste through your fingertips, and apply it to your roots. Try Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Paste Wax for a clean look and feel.
2. Dip your fingers into a loose glitter of your choice, and pat it gently onto your roots.
3. With a soft brush, distribute the glitter throughout your hair, brushing from roots to the ends.
Prettier and fancier than a typical three-strand braid, the fishtail is fit for special occasions and works on any type of hair.
• Separate out the top section of hair to braid. Secure the bottom section with elastic and the top section with another elastic.
• Divide the top section into two equal parts.
• Take a thin strand of hair from the outside of the left part and bring it over to the inside of right part. Then, take a thin strand from the outside of the right and bring it over to the inside of the left.
• Repeat until your fishtail is complete. Secure the bottom with an elastic and remove or snip off the top elastic for a loose, flowing look.
• You can twist the fishtail up into a bun and secure with a bobby pins for a new take on the classic bun.
A classic updo with a messy-but-elegant look, the chignon is the perfect complement to any prom outfit.
• Apply dry shampoo and back-comb roots to add volume.
• Gently brush hair backward and spritz with hairspray.
• Pull a side section of hair back and twist it outward. Continue twisting until you can securely pin the section near the nape of the neck.
• Repeat with a section on the other side of your head.
• Secure remaining hair in the chignon by twisting it, wrapping into a bun and pinning.
• Secure the look with Garnier Fructis Sheer Set hairspray to hold the style in place.
Texture and Glam
If you have super-short hair, texture and the right accessories can make your night.
• Emphasize layers in your short cut by distributing Garnier Fructis Pixie Play Crafting Cream throughout your hair.
• Tease hair at the roots with your fingers.
• Finish the look by adding a sparkly barrette or headband.
Gorgeous hair for prom doesn't have to be complicated or time consuming. With a little prep, you're well on your way to a beautiful night to remember.
Videos & Articles
Learn more in these related articles and videos.
Get set for your next celebration with 4 of our favorite party-ready hairstyles.
This holiday season, try one of these festive and simple hairstyles.
Here are 3 polished hairstyles that are perfect for wedding season and simple to create.
From glittery locks to flowy waves, create these 4 party-ready hairstyles in just a few steps.
Transform short, long or medium-length hair with these quick tips.