Style and Care for Your Great, Straight Hair
Straight hair is the envy of so many, but requires the proper care to be gorgeous, shiny and vibrant. However, it’s totally possible to get away with just a few minutes of care and prep.
A simple routine might involve washing hair, using a gentle shampoo several times a week, applying a hydrating conditioner, and air drying or using a hair dryer and heat protectant. Gently brush out any snarls or snags, but steer clear of overzealous brushing or combing, which can cause breakage and split ends.
Blow Drying Tips
Using a blow-dryer too often -- or on too high of a setting -- can damage your hair over the long term. But when you're in a hurry, air drying isn't always an option. If you're using a blow-dryer, keep those straight locks as healthy as possible with these tips:
• Avoid blow-drying soaking wet hair. Wring out water from hair and gently pat dry with a towel before blow-drying.
• Avoid blow-drying hair without a heat protector, which helps keeps strands strong, silky and hydrated.
• Brush hair gently with a paddle brush as you dry it, which keeps straight hair sleek and makes it easier to style after drying. Keep each strand pulled taut as you direct the dryer onto it, which makes for even drying and can help prevent snags and breakage.
• If you have thick hair, divide it into sections and blow-dry one section at a time for a quicker, more even drying throughout. Flat-ironing instead for stick-straight strands? Here's what to keep in mind:
• Try using a thermal protectant before you flat-iron. Spray onto damp hair to tame frizz and protect against damage. Frucits Style Flat Iron Perfector with Argan oil helps protect from high heat
• Hotter is not necessarily better. Just because your flat iron goes up to 450 degrees doesn't mean the highest setting will give you the best results. It’s a good idea to use a setting between 300 and 350 degrees.
• Separate hair into sections and iron one at a time. Grabbing random handfuls of hair means you may end up over-ironing some sections, and you won't get consistent results throughout.
Volume and Body
Even if you appreciate your straight hair, you've probably wished for more voluminous-looking locks. It's definitely achievable -- with help from the right products. If your hair is thin, try a texturizing spray, which won't weigh it down. Obtain natural-looking, voluminous waves by leaving hair in a braid overnight and undoing it in the morning. Got thicker locks? A cut with choppy layers can help add the e look of volume, and so can regularly using a volumizing shampoo. To build on that, try applying volumizing mousse to damp hair, styling hair as you like, then spraying with a volumizing hairspray, like Garnier Fructis Volume Hairspray, to keep the hair looking voluminous all day.
All day hold, even in 90-percent humidity
Tames frizz and protects from heat
Seal out humidity with no greasy weighdown
Get the most out of your heat styling tools & products for ultimate smoothness
Hair is soft, glossy, and manageable
Flyaway, frizz, and humidity resistance
All day ultra strong hold, even in 90-percent humidity
Shampoo for Frizzy Hair
Conditioner for Frizzy Hair
Moroccan Oil Treatment
Leave in Conditioner
Videos & Articles
Learn more in these related articles and videos.
Find out how to add volume to your hair with these expert care and styling tips.
From hair care to styling, these are the products and tools to add to your arsenal.
Learn how to get gorgeous, glossy hair at home.
Want amazing summer hair? Avoid these common hair mistakes during the warmer months.
Stop damaging your strands and try these tips for stronger, healthier hair instead.
Find out why your hair is oily and how you can counteract it with the right treatments and products.
Hair masks are the perfect way to help reduce breakage and make your hair feel healthy. Get the scoop on this must-have product.
Once you color your hair, you don’t want it to fade way. Find out how you can keep your hair color from fading by following three simple steps.
Damaged hair can result from processing hair through heat styling, coloring and excessive styling. Find out how to protect it in four steps.
If you ever experience unruly or frizzy hair, you probably want to tame it. Read more for some easy ways to fight the frizz.
If you like moisturized skin and healthy hair then shea butter should be in your beauty arsenal.
If you’re wondering how you should best take care of colored-treated hair to maintain the color, read these five tips.
Learn simple tricks for taming hair that won't behave.
Discover simple ways to protect your hair from styling damage.
We’re rounding up some of our favorite ingredients for hair and skin.
Learn about the ways argan oil can benefit your skin and hair.
Here are 5 easy things you can do to get healthier hair in hot weather.
Boost your wavy hair with the right haircut, hair care products and styling techniques.
Want amazing hair? Add these care and styling tips to your daily routine.
These are the best haircuts, hair care products and styling techniques for girls with thick hair.
Discover simple styling tricks for making the most of layered hair.
Master the art of braided hair with these professional styling tips.
Create an effortless, messy hairstyle with these easy styling tips.
Not sure what hairstyles best flatter your face shape? Here’s your cheat sheet.
Before you commit to a bob haircut, here are some helpful things to consider.
Learn about your face shape then discover your most flattering haircuts.