How to Get the Most from Your Natural Waves
Soft, natural waves are the envy of the hairstyling world—something that's good to remember if you've had them forever and find them ho-hum. Bringing out the best in your waves doesn't require fancy products or hours behind the mirror—instead, it's about maximizing your time, style and a few specific products.
Get the Right Cut
There's no one-size-fits-all cut perfect for wavy hair, but you'll be on your way to finding the ideal cut if you take the tightness and texture of your waves into account.
• Fine hair: Fine, thin hair tends to form looser waves, which get the most voluminous look from a shoulder-length bob.
• Medium thickness: The versatility of neither-thick-nor-thin hair lends itself well to just about any cut. For something both elegant and edgy, try an asymmetrical undercut to really accentuate your waves.
• Coarse and frizzy: To get the most from this texture, keep your hair on the longer side so its natural weight can control the volume.
Use Pampering Products
Wavy hair presents its own unique set of challenges, like keeping fly-aways and frizziness at bay without weighing hair down. Waves and curls crave moisture, so the simplest way to keep them looking healthy is to keep them hydrated.
• Apply moisturizing products: If your hair is frizzy or you struggle with fly-aways, use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Curl Nourish is a great choice for someone looking to clean hair without stripping moisture. Finish with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Curl Nourish Butter Cream Leave in Treatment.
• Plump it up: Thin, wavy hair can sometimes fall flat on top. To keep body throughout, apply volumizing mousse near the roots at your crown. Garnier Fructis Root Amp mousse has a targeted applicator which allows you to spray directly onto your roots.
• Go for shine: If your hair looks dull, go a step beyond just hydration. Silicones in hair-care products can help create shine and are well-suited to wavy hair, and hydrating sprays can revitalize curls that have gone dry or flat during the day.
Style It Well
You can have low-maintenance waves that look great but take just a few minutes! Try these techniques:
• The back brush: Take small sections of hair at your roots. With a large paddle brush, bring them backward or upward to create volume and smooth out snarls at the same time.
• The pin-up: Comb out a deep side part and secure it. Pin back the hair in the smaller side of the part, letting the other side down and volumizing on top if necessary.
• The subtle straighten: Part your hair in the middle and secure a front section on each side by pinning it into a bun. Use a flat iron to straighten the rest of your hair, and then let the wavy front sections down for a subtle but refined look.
Shampoo for defined, frizz-resistant curls
Conditioner for defined, frizz-resistant curls
Leave-in treatment for defined, frizz-resistant curls
Boosts volume and promotes all day mega-lift with no sticky weighdown
Videos & Articles
Learn more in these related articles and videos.
Find out how to add volume to your hair with these expert care and styling tips.
Want amazing hair? Add these care and styling tips to your daily routine.
These are the best haircuts, hair care products and styling techniques for girls with thick hair.
Discover simple styling tricks for making the most of layered hair.
Master the art of braided hair with these professional styling tips.
Create an effortless, messy hairstyle with these easy styling tips.
Not sure what hairstyles best flatter your face shape? Here’s your cheat sheet.
Learn how maintain your shiny straight hair with these daily care and styling tips.
Before you commit to a bob haircut, here are some helpful things to consider.
Learn about your face shape then discover your most flattering haircuts.